- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil or extra virgin oil
- 1 teaspoon of cumin and 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 tablespoon of curry powder
- 1 diced large onion
- A few pinches of coarse sea salt (optional)
- 4 minced cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of minced fresh ginger
- 2 peeled sweet potatoes
- 1 diced (stemmed and seeded) red bell pepper
- 1 and 1/2 cups of rinsed red lentils
- 6 cups of vegetable broth (preferably organic, low sodium)
- Freshly ground pepper
- Chopped fresh cilantro
Heat the coconut or olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook 1tsp each ground cumin and turmeric and 1tbsp curry until fragrant, about 1 to 2 mints. Add diced onion with a few pinches of salt, and cook, stirring, until tender, about 6 mints. Add 4 minced cloves of garlic and diced fresh ginger and cook stirring, until tender, about 2 minutes. Add peeled sweet potatoes and red bell pepper and cook 1 minute. Add lentils and vegetable broth. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer until lentils are tender, 20 to 25 mints. Season with pepper. Top with chopped cilantro before serving.
* Refrigerate stew in an airtight container up to 3 days. Nutrition Per serving: 485 calories; 10 grams of fat (1g. sat fat) 70 g. of carb; 200 gm of sodium; 23 g. protein; 16 g. fiber.